Why Languages Matter
March 10, 2011
Posted by on
Above is a short film which was shown at the beginning of the event “Why Languages Matter”, hosted by the LSE Language Centre on 8th March. The footage was taken by a group of students, who went around the campus one day to interview students about the languages they spoke and why languages were important to them. I edited the footage and made it into a short film.
The event was attended by around 80 people, both students, teachers and language professionals from Universities and other organisations. A round table discussion on the importance of language learning was held and the panel discussed issues such as the following:
- Are monolingual Brits at a disadvantage?
- Is English really enough?
- Should a language qualification be compulsory for university entry and be re-introduced in all schools until 16?
- Which are the languages for the new century?
- Is language learning just about employability?
- What do we mean by intercultural communication?
- Is the future Multilingual?
If, like myself, you believe in the importance of language learning, here is some information on a new campaign to promote languages, which has just been launched: