Virtual Learning Group Last Session
April 6, 2011
Posted by on
A selection of snapshots from the last session.
21st March was our last session of the Virtual Learning Group on Second Life. I think the regular participants got a lot out of the sessions. Contact with French native speakers. Confidence in speaking. Motivation to improve their French. Some students did drop out or only came occasionally; we have sent out a Feedback form and hope to find out their reasons.
We plan to run more of these sessions but not until the new academic year. We are still unsure whether to continue with Second Life or to try another platform such as Skype. A possibility is to combine the two, starting off with Skype and then going on to Second Life. It would be very interesting to be able to compare the two platforms with the same group of students.
Questions which arose from these sessions:
- Did we really use Second Life to its full potential?
- Do the benefits of such a dynamic platform outweigh the technical issues or vice versa?
- Are 5 sessions enough to gain a real insight into the potential of Second Life for language learning?
- Would another platform such as Skype serve the purpose just as well?
- Would it be useful for students if we recorded the sessions using a programme such as Camsoft?
I look forward to repeating and developing this project next year.